Acceptance and Commitment Therapy at Souther
Dr. Aaron Beck developed cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) in the 1960s. He understood the links between thoughts and actions, beliefs and behavior. He named his new therapy to reflect that it is based on the links between cognition and behavior. CBT’s effectiveness has been established many times over since that time. It is widely used to treat mental health and substance use disorders. An addiction therapy program that offers CBT is considered cutting edge.
Southern Sky Recovery offers a cognitive-behavioral therapy program in Bluffton, SC. To learn more about how CBT works in addiction treatment, reach out to us today by calling 843.350.5769 or completing our online form. We can introduce you to the benefits of CBT and other evidence-based therapies offered in our rehab center.
The Basis of CBT
Many people intuitively understand that thoughts, beliefs, and emotions directly influence actions and outcomes. Brain science has resoundingly confirmed this idea, providing a great deal of support to our understanding of why cognitive-behavioral therapy is so effective for treating various conditions, including anxiety, PTSD, and addiction.
Our thinking informs everything we do. If children believe that they are poor students, they will approach all learning opportunities and potentially their entire education from that perspective. Their thoughts will daily tell them that they cannot learn and will also interpret information in light of that belief. They will struggle to pay attention, begin skipping homework, and get poor grades, confirming their beliefs. Children who feel they can and will learn approach school with enthusiasm and openness. Furthermore, they learn to see mistakes not as proof of failure but as hiccups on the way to understanding.
This model applies to all of us in large and small ways every day. By shifting your beliefs and thoughts about yourself and the world, you can change your actions and life. For those who suffer from addiction, CBT can create massive shifts in self-image, self-belief, and behaviors, allowing recovery.
Request a Confidential Callback
Elements of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
Cognitive-behavioral therapy encompasses several elements that work together to create meaningful change for those who seek addiction recovery. For example, CBT:
- It tends to be time-limited (24-48 sessions on average)
- Is goal-oriented, focusing on identifying harmful thoughts and false beliefs, assessing their role in your life, and transforming them
- Facilitates change not just in thoughts and behavior but also in mood (very helpful if there is a co-occurring mood disorder)
- It can be used in a group therapy setting or individual therapy with equal efficacy
- Focuses on the present moment
- Develops a client’s ability to manage triggers and reduce the risk of relapse
We Work With Most Insurance
We are an in-network provider with Cigna & Blue Cross Blue Shield, meaning up to 100% of the costs associated with treatment at our program.
Find a Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Program in Bluffton at Southern Sky Recovery
At our addiction treatment center in Bluffton, we understand how addiction works and how to help those who seek sobriety. It is difficult for those with a substance use disorder to turn away from the instant gratification provided by alcohol and drugs. Due to trauma, life challenges, family dynamics, and more, many people do not have the tools to find well-being without substances. CBT provides those tools, including:
- Self-awareness helps you recognize triggers and the onset of cravings
- Problem-solving skills enable you to avoid or extricate yourself from situations that endanger your recovery
- Strategic planning can prevent bad outcomes as you are better able to anticipate threats to your sobriety
- Power over your harmful thoughts means they are less likely to impede your growth and healing
Reach out today at 843.350.5769 to get answers to your questions about our addiction therapy program, including CBT as well as other modalities such as dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), and a full range of mental health counseling. We offer outpatient, intensive outpatient, partial hospitalization options, medication management, and holistic therapies. Let our staff empower you with information and support you with the knowledge that you are not alone. Southern Sky Recovery is here for you.