Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment Program
While prescription drugs can be used safely under a doctor’s guidance, they can also be abused. People who misuse prescription drugs may develop addictions, with damaging consequences for their health and well-being, even consequences as severe as death by overdose. Finding expert substance abuse treatment in South Carolina is crucial to breaking the prescription drug abuse cycle for good. Southern Sky Recovery’s state-of-the-art prescription drug addiction treatment program in Bluffton, SC provides compassionate, caring medical help for each step in your recovery.
Facts About Prescription Drug Abuse
Many people develop prescription drug addictions after they’ve been prescribed legitimate medications by a medical professional. They may take more medicine than the recommended dose or seek out more doctors to write stronger prescriptions. Misuse can lead to a substance use disorder that requires prescription drug addiction treatment.
The most commonly abused prescription medications fall into three categories: opioids, central nervous system (CNS) depressants, and stimulants.
- Opioids are drugs with powerful pain-killing properties. These drugs have chemicals that disrupt pain signals in the brain and increase dopamine, a brain chemical associated with pleasure. Opioids are often prescribed for severe chronic pain.
- CNS depressants are drugs that have sedative or calming effects. They may be prescribed for anxiety, insomnia, or movement disorders like seizures and muscle spasms.
- Stimulants are drugs that increase levels of dopamine and other “feel-good” chemicals in the brain. Stimulants can affect a person’s breathing and raise their heart rate, among other side effects. They may be prescribed for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy.
Most drugs in these categories are legal and can relieve pain and reduce symptoms when used as directed. However, misuse of prescription medications is extremely common. Each year, millions of people in the United States abuse prescription drugs, and many overdose deaths involve the abuse of prescription opioids.
How Can I Tell if I Need Prescription Drug Rehab?
If you’re concerned about your prescription drug use, or the prescription drug use of someone you care about, the best option may be prescription drug addiction treatment. A medical professional can diagnose a substance use disorder, and they may consider whether any of the following characteristics apply to you or someone you love.
- Using more of the substance than you intended
- Needing more of the substance than you did before to get the effect you want
- Spending a lot of time getting, using, or recovering from prescription medications
- Experiencing strong cravings for prescription drugs or withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking prescription drugs
- Wanting to cut back on or stop prescription drug use but being unable to do so
- Using prescription drugs even when this use interferes with your work, responsibilities, or relationships
How Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment Can Help
When you enter prescription drug rehab, a skilled medical staff will assess your needs. Treatment is tailored to the individual, and no two people in recovery are alike. However, all clients at a good substance abuse treatment center receive the same high-quality care.
Treatment usually begins with detox, where you give the substances time to leave your body. Since many prescription drugs have severe withdrawal symptoms, medical staff will monitor you to keep you safe and comfortable and relieve symptoms as much as possible.
The next step is to begin a program of prescription drug rehab, including individual and group therapy, medical care, psychiatric care, and education.
In behavioral therapy, you’ll examine factors in your life that may have contributed to prescription drug abuse and practice coping strategies to help you deal with life’s stressors without using drugs. Group therapy programs, led by trained professionals, help you learn from other people in recovery.
Support and community will continue once you leave the prescription drug rehab program. Aftercare programs include outpatient counseling options, group meetings, recreational activities, and more resources to keep you motivated in recovery.
Southern Sky Recovery Offers Help and Hope
For people seeking prescription drug addiction treatment in Bluffton, SC, Southern Sky Recovery has the empathy and expertise to guide you towards long-term recovery. Our outpatient programs include partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient treatment, where you receive the level of care that meets your needs. Besides keeping you physically healthy and supporting you through withdrawal, we help you manage your mental and behavioral health in individual and group counseling.
Prescription drug addiction is serious, but it’s never too late to start recovery. Call us at 843.350.5769 or get in touch online to learn more.